Skip to main content
Reference List: Guidelines
- The list of references is created on a separate page.
- The heading is centred at the top of the page and is titled "References".
- Each entry is in alphabetical order according to the last name of the author or editor. If there is no author, list according to the first main word of the title.
- Each entry begins flush with the left hand margin. Use a hanging indent for subsequent lines.
- Entries are in double line spacing, with double line spacing between references.
- Note: This is an APA Style requirement - check with your lecturer on how they would like your References spaced.
Reference List - Self Quiz
Gain mastery of APA Style reference formatting by taking practice self-quiz questions. Receive immediate feedback on correct and incorrect answers. Two attempts per question are allowed. To prepare for this self-quiz, review the following quick guides:
Creating a Hanging Indent
Learn how to write a References section, including how to ensure entries are accurate, complete, consistently styled, and up to date.
Alphabetizing the Referencing List
Alphabetizing the Reference List
Learn how to arrange entries in the reference list, including how to alphabetize multiple works by the same author, the same author and date of publication, different authors with the same surname, group authors, or no author.
Edith Cowan University acknowledges and respects the Nyoongar people, who are the traditional custodians of the land upon which its campuses stand and its programs operate.
In particular ECU pays its respects to the Elders, past and present, of the Nyoongar people, and embrace their culture, wisdom and knowledge.