Find top authors on a topic by using the TRENDS Module
SciVal draws its data from Scopus.
If you're interested in knowing the top 10 authors in a field, using the Analyze tool in Scopus is sufficient. However, if you wish to see ALL authors, SciVal is has an upper limit of displaying the top ~500 authors.
Login into Scival (requires setting up an account)
To find top authors, sources etc.publishing on a topic
1. Click on Trends
2. & 3. In Topics and Research Areas, use a pre-defined topic OR search and define a new topic
1. In Trends
2. Select the Topic
3. Click on Authors
3. Select Table view
4. Select all authors
- The Author List provides the following author metrics for each author:
and clicking on each author displays further metrics options
5. Click on the small red arrow next to each metric to SORT authors by that metric.
6. Export results and PDF/Print or Save as a CSV or XML file
Find top authors on a topic by using CITATION REPORT
The Citation Report in Web of Science displays articles which have attracted the most citations.
1. Search for your topic
2. View your results list and modify your search keywords if necessary
3. Click on Create Citation Report
4. Records on the Results page are sorted by Times Cited -- highest to lowest by default. However, you can sort the results by selecting another sort option from the Sort by menu located at the top and bottom of the table.
Find top authors on a topic by using the Scopus ANALYZE SEARCH RESULTS
This process finds the authors who have published the highest number of documents on that topic.
1. Search Scopus
When viewing the Results List
2. View results found and if necessary, modify your search terms
3. To lick find top authors, sources etc. publishing on this topic, Select all results
4. Click on Analyze search results tool
5. Click on the AUTHOR tab to view Authors who have published most on this topic
- graph will compare the outputs of up to 15 authors
- the "Export" button will download up to approximately a maximum of 160 authors (does not display complete list of authors)
6. Click on the bar to view the Author's list of Publications
7. Click on a name to view the Author's Scopus ID
Find top authors on a topic by using ANALYZE RESULTS
Search the Web of Science database
When viewing the Results List
View results found and if necessary, modify your search terms
Click on Analyze Results
The Results Analysis will allow you to rank up to 500 records
1. Your search terms will be displayed
2. select Authors (scroll to view the many other options available)
3. in show the top, select how many top authors you wish to view ... 10, 25, 50, 100, 250 500
5. Authors will be ranked by number of articles published
To View Records of a listed author
In the overview module,
An author's h-index attempts to measure both the productivity and citation impact of the publications of a scientist or scholar.
The h-index is based on the highest number of papers included that have had at least the same number of citations. e.g. a h-index of 8 indicates that at least 8 of the author's articles have each received at least 8 citations.
The h5-index is based upon data from the last completed 5 years e.g. when selecting 2016, the h5-index will be for 2012-2016.
Edith Cowan University acknowledges and respects the Nyoongar people, who are the traditional custodians of the land upon which its campuses stand and its programs operate.
In particular ECU pays its respects to the Elders, past and present, of the Nyoongar people, and embrace their culture, wisdom and knowledge.